Copper and Lumber Store Nelson's Dockyard

Bookmark and Share

Home > Caribbean Travel Guide > Leeward Islands > Antigua > Nelson's Dockyard
Antigua
Antigua Map
Barbuda
Nelson's Dockyard
St John's
St John's Map
Shirley Heights
Dickenson Bay
Jolly Beach
Antigua Aerial   Photographs

Copper and Lumber Store

 

The Copper and Lumber store was built in 1789.

The main part of the building was used for storage of the copper and lumber for the construction and repair of the ship's bottoms and hulls.

In the roof space the sailors slept in hammocks. Today the Copper and Lumber store is a hotel.

The store also contains four huge water cisterns holding some fifty tons of water, which are still used today.
 + Larger Image  

Copper and Lumber Store Nelson's Dockyard

 

Nelson's Dockyard main buildings: Naval Officers House (1855), Officers Quarters (1810), Cordage and Canvas Store (begun in 1778), Copper and Lumber Store (1789), the Boat House and Joiners Loft (1778), Pay Office (1807), the Boat House and Sail Loft (1796), Seaman's Gallery (1778), Pitch and Tar Store (1788), Fort Berkeley (1704).


Travel, holiday, vacation and cruise guide to Nelson's Dockyard, English Harbour, Antigua. All text and images are Copyright Paradise Islands org. All photographs on this Caribbean travel guide website are obtained with the permission of the owners and come from various sources including the islands tourist boards. Copper, Lumber, Store, Nelson's Dockyard, Antigua. Caribbean Map
 

Link to this page from another website, travel blog or social networking site? The URL of this page is

http://www.paradise-islands.org/antigua-nelsons-dockyard/copper-lumber.htm

More Photographs
of Nelson' Dockyard

Nelson's Dockyard Museum

Museum Building

Nelson's Dockyard Marina

Marina

Boat House and Sail Loft, Nelson's Dockyard, Antigua

Boat House

Nelson's Dockyard Harbour

Harbour

Aerial Photograph English Harbour Antigua

Aerial View

Shirley Heights Antigua

Shirley Heights

Fort Berkeley Antigua

Fort Berkeley