Boat House and Sail Loft Nelson's Dockyard

Bookmark and Share

Home > Caribbean Travel Guide > Leeward Islands > Antigua > Nelson's Dockyard
Antigua
Antigua Map
Barbuda
Nelson's Dockyard
St John's
St John's Map
Shirley Heights
Dickenson Bay
Jolly Beach

The Boat House Nelson's Dockyard

Remains of the original boat house and sail loft at Nelson's Dockyard, Antigua. The boat house and sail loft were built in 1797. Ships would tie up in the narrow central channel (wet dock) and the sails would be hoisted from the boats up to the sail loft through a trap door for repair.

Originally the boat house was a huge two storey building; the ground floor was used for general storage and the repair of ship's tenders; the upper floor was used to repair ship's sails and to make new sails.   

The boat house and sail loft was damaged by an earthquake in 1845 and severely damaged again by a hurricane in English Harbour in 1871, which resulted in the sail loft loosing it's roof. Today all that remains of the original building are the massive boat house pillars, which have been capped with concrete to prevent water damage to the stone and preserve them against further decay.

 

The Wet Dock at Nelson's Dockyard, Antigua. The wet dock was part of the boat house and sail loft built in 1797. Ships would tie up in the wet dock and the sails would be hoisted up to the sail loft through a trap door for repair.

 + Larger Image  
 + Larger Image  

 

Wet Dock at Night

The building was damaged by an earthquake in 1845 and a hurricane in 1871, which resulted in the sail loft loosing it's roof. Today all that remains of the original boat house and sail loft are the massive boat house pillars, which have been capped with concrete to preserve them against further decay.

Boat House and Joiners Loft

 

The Boat House and Joiners Loft was built in 1778 and restored in 1972. Originally open at ground level, carpenters and joiners worked here on boat parts.

Nelson's Dockyard main buildings: Naval Officer's House (Dockyard Museum) (1855), Officers Quarters (1810), Cordage and Canvas Store (begun in 1778), Copper and Lumber Store (1789), the Boat House and Joiners Loft (1778), Pay Office (1807), the Boat House and Sail Loft (1797), Seaman's Gallery (1778) and the Pitch and Tar Store (1788), Fort Berkeley (1704).

Travel, holiday, vacation and cruise guide to Nelson's Dockyard, English Harbour, Antigua. All text and images are Copyright Paradise Islands org. All photographs on this Caribbean travel guide website are obtained with the permission of the owners and come from various sources including the islands tourist boards.
 

Link to this page from another website, travel blog or social networking site? The URL of this page is

http://www.paradise-islands.org/antigua-nelsons-dockyard/boat-house.htm

More Photographs
of Nelson' Dockyard

Nelson's Dockyard Museum

Museum Building

Copper and Lumber Store Nelson's Dockyard Antigua

Copper Lumber

Nelson's Dockyard Marina

Marina

Nelson's Dockyard Harbour

Harbour

Aerial Photograph English Harbour Antigua

Aerial View

Shirley Heights Antigua

Shirley Heights

Fort Berkeley Antigua

Fort Berkeley